Sunday, January 19, 2014

Worm Composting 101 v2.0

V2.0? You ask? Many of you might remember that at one time I was the proud owner of the Queensborough sQuigglers. With a little work, even you city slickers with a little work and creativity can own your own. 

Back in September I purchased some red wigglers from a Trail family. They arrived home with me in an ice cream bucket. Immediately I set to work and drilled air holes in a Rubbermaid tote.  I put a wet burlap empty sand bag on the bottom, then some hay, I emptied the worm bucket, added some compost along for the worms to start eating, then finally I placed another wet burlap bag over that and put on the lid.

In 4 months I filled the Rubbermaid and decided to engage a two bin method. See them here.

The bottom bin is the original bin. It now contains 75% of the compost cumulated from September through December. I will leave that bin alone other than an occasional tossing of the salad to aerate it for maximum composting and worm casings. 

The top bin has 25% of the original bin and my recent organic matter. By the time this bin fills, the bottom tote should be ready to harvest for casings. At this point I will spread the bottom bin into my garden in May and split off my top bin to continue this cycle. Next cycle will be ready for September revitalization before the frosts set in. 

Oh and if you look closer you can see the wonderful sloupy tea on the bottom, this shit is a powerful plant food. I learned the hard way that it needs to be heavily diluted before giving to house plants. :( I lost all 3 of my hot pepper plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment