Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Dirty Ymir Secret

We are talking laundry here folks....Look what I am doing. Saving the planet one laundry load at a time; that's right, I hang my clothes to dry.There I've said it. If you come to my house you are probably going to get one of those crunchy rough hewn towels. I know; the shame. But hey, I am saving electricity AND I am saving some cheese! I will save roughly $50 this year by not using my dryer! Cha-ching! Here is how it is currently working  during these winter months; please note that the laundry rack didn't cost me a thing as it came with the house! Big score there.

 The dollar savings comes from the BC Hydro website. I am all up for saving on my electricity costs as they are through the roof as I have an electric furnace that runs the show here. The house is well insulated and the furnace is in great condition as it has been well maintained by the previous owners. The floors can still be pretty cold though and I recommend wool socks and slippers if you come.


I got all gung-ho when I first moved here and bought a used wood-stove from a family in Nelson doing a re-model. I haven't put it in - and wood is expensive. dirty and hardwork! Next year I am considering a small addition and if that happens I will incorporate a woodstove there. In the meantime I have become quite astute at balancing my loads on that crappy wire rack. However, in the summer I bring out the big guns.... The outdoor clothesline. Anyone who has not experienced fresh hung sheets on an outdoor line are really missing out. Check out these beauties - glad Tyler and Casey are not still young - they would have climbed that Cedar and rode these babies.



Which brings us to the chicken coop I had built this fall. The terribly teal and white building is the original settlers cabin which was built in the early 1900's. There is electricity and an old woodstove  but no running water. It is essentially a 3 room cabin with a very small loft. And attached on the right is a fouth room which has been a garden shed. I turned that shed into a small coop with two hen boxes and a small door on a string that leads out into the covered yard. The house on the far right is the neighbours that didn't like Fabio my rooster - that is their bedroom window.... he was very vocal; and an early bird gets the worm kind of guy. Anyways, Fabio went to the farm - no really, he went to the farm where he has many fine ladies to entertain. However, I know he doesn't have anything quite so fine as Foxy and Cleo - because they are a whole lot of woman!




No comments:

Post a Comment