Monday, April 21, 2014

Worm composting is moving outdoors.

Today I moved my little wormies to the little covered area behind my house that has been used previously as a cat playroom. I let Bernie Mac have it through the winter and look what he left me. 
Yuck! Looks like Bernie Mac is taking his job serious. Back to worm composting!

Last year in September I went to Trail to pick up a starter pack of red wrigglers. I paid $20 for an ice cream pail full of worm casings and worms. I put them in a Rubbermaid container along with some hay and all of the compostables the chickens didn't get. By December of 2013, I needed a second Rubbermaid bin. 
I believe that I posted previously about my two step process. The bottom bin contains the original compost, the bin above is a fresh start containing two decent scoops from the original bin, some straw, and some fresh vegetable and fruit leftovers. 
Today, I harvested the original bin. I now realize that this is actually a 3 step process. Box one looked like this
You can just see a few worms at the top. I took this mixture and separated the worms from the compost and casings. I placed the rich humus on a tiered screen set up to minimize loss and allow to break up the fertilizer and dry out a bit.
This is just a couple of trowel scoops of the compost. Look at my amazing worms. And my amazing compost and casings!
I am letting it sit in the Rubbermaid along with whatever worms managed to escape my notice and the thousands of baby wormies. In another month I believe the compost will be ready for use and sale. I plan on making a liquid tea out of this to sell. You add casings to water and aerate. 
What about the worms you ask? 
Well if you have to know.....
Oh yeah, they love them! I think that the trout around here may enjoy them too!
I didn't give them all to the ladies; I placed a few in the garden and the remainder I put into bin 2 to help move it along. 
Now my wormies are out in the cat cage!
Let me know if you want to buy some! 
Worms, worm tea, and worm casings! I got them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment